Strange, weird & wonderful facts about sex
Ah, sex. We all have it, we all love it, and secretly, we all want to talk about it. One of my most popular coaching sessions is 'Talking about sex' .. So. a bit of fun; here are 20 weird sex facts that you might not know and well, maybe never really wanted to. You have been warned..
1. Four popes have died while having sex. Sure, that means that 262 popes did not die during sex, but these are popes—they’re not supposed to be having sex in the first place.
2. Unlike chocolate at Easter which leaves you craving a vegetable, the more sex you have, the more you want.
3. The French's ability to romanticise is never more obvious than with their nickname for the point of orgasm: 'la petite mort', or ‘the little death’. (Love this!)
4. On the other hand, experiencing 'butterflies of love' might sound romantic, but in France the phrase 'papillon d'amour' means having pubic lice.
5. Sex toys and vibrators are banned in shops in the American states of Alabama and Mississippi. The attorney general stated: “There is no fundamental right for a person to buy a device to produce orgasm". Shopkeeper Sherri Williams from Alabama said in response: “My motto has been, 'they are going to have to pry this vibrator from my cold, dead hand'. I refuse to give up.”
6. A quarter of penises are slightly bent when erect
7. For the average healthy man there is a staggering 300 million sperm in just a teaspoon of semen. Um, so what is the average number of calories in that teaspoon? Seven. Whew.
8. Average speed of ejaculation: 28 miles per hour. Fast & the....
9. When a woman orgasms, she releases an endorphin that kills pain. So ditch the ‘headache’ excuse. Sex will only make it better! And sex is 10 times more effective than valium.
10. Luckily for men, 75% of them always reach orgasm whilst making love, but for ladies the headlines aren’t so great, with only 29% reporting an orgasm through penetrative sex. The majority of women reach orgasm though clitoral simulation rather than vaginal, so it's all about multitasking.
11. Straight men comprise more than half the audience for online transgender porn. A meta-study of one billion online searches for porn concluded that transgender porn is the fourth-most popular form of porn on Earth. And straight men are the primary consumers of it. There may actually be less transphobia out there than you think there is.
12. Most turkeys and giraffes are bisexual.
13. Both men and women can have multiple orgasms (I have been teaching this for years so you should know this one)
14. Educated women are more likely to engage in anal sex. Wonder if that's the same for men.
15. 80% of men living in the USA have been circumcised. Less than 20% in the UK have been. Go UK!
16. One orgasm a day may decrease a man's risk for prostate cancer. A good enough reason if there was one.
17. 70% of men refuse sex during their girlfriend’s period. Um, guys, orgasms are a great way to relieve period pains.
18. You can't say happiness without saying penis. (You're welcome.)
19. 15. A study found that good sex triggers the region of the brain associated with falling in love. Ah, that makes sense.
20. The black widow spider eats her mate during or after sex. Worse still, the horny eight-legger can consumer as many 20 lovers in a single day.
Seems like a disturbingly logical place to end things...